Your text link can be here! Click here for more information.
• On June 22, the NHL awards a franchise to Las Vegas, with the team beginning play in the 2017-18 season. Exactly five months later, the team is christened as the Vegas Golden Knights.
• Four franchises celebrate their 50th anniversaries in their original cities -- the Los Angeles Kings, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and St. Louis Blues. It's also the 50th anniversary for the Dallas Stars franchise, split between Minnesota and North Texas.
• A little comic relief in the preseason -- on October 2nd, the Stars and Panthers met in London, Ontario. The Panthers were the designated home team and were supposed to bring their newly-redesigned red jerseys. Apparently, the team didn't get the memo and brought their new white jerseys instead. Unfortunately, the Stars also brought their white jerseys. With both teams' home uniforms more than a thousand miles away, the fans at the Budweiser Gardens were forced to watch both teams wear white uniforms for the entire game (a 2-1 Stars overtime win, not that it'll matter in the long run).
• Not a bad start: In his NHL debut with the Maple Leafs, Auston Matthews -- the first overall pick in the 2016 NHL Draft -- scored four goals. Despite that incredible feat, it wouldn't be enough -- the Leafs fell to the Senators in overtime, 5-4. Matthews' opening night heroics put him on pace to score a mere 328 goals. That would be, like, a record or something.
• Four outdoor games dot the 2016-17 regular season schedule, including the earliest one to date. The Jets hosted the Oilers in the Heritage Classic at Investors Group Field on October 23rd, with the Oilers winning, 3-0.
• On New Year's Eve, the NHL's two newest franchises, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Minnesota Wild, squared off in St. Paul, with both teams riding amazing winning streaks -- the Blue Jackets with 14 in a row and the Wild with 12 straight. It's the first time in NHL history that two teams faced one another with both riding at least 11-game winning streaks. The Blue Jackets won 4-2, to extend their streak to 15 games and snap the Wild's run. The Blue Jackets would extend their streak to 16 games -- one shy of the NHL record -- before losing to the Capitals on January 5.
• When the calendar flipped to 2017, all teams added a patch celebrating the NHL's 100th anniversary on their right sleeves.
• The NHL kicked off its centennial celebration with the Centennial Classic at BMO Field in Toronto. In a rematch of the 2014 Winter Classic, the Maple Leafs beat the Red Wings in overtime, 5-4. The Red Wings forced overtime by tying the game with 1.1 seconds left in regulation.
• Speaking of the Winter Classic, the Blackhawks, who seem to play outdoors every year, once again took it outside as they traveled to Busch Stadium in St. Louis to take on the Blues on January 2nd. The Blues came away with a 4-1 win. On February 18th, the Penguins will host the Flyers at Heinz Field in an all-Keystone State edition of the Stadium Series.